INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION – SYNOPSIS OF THE FILMS
1. 5’23 before the end of a world (org. 5’23 avant la fin d’un monde) / Dir. BHOPAL / 2018 France / 05:23 / Traditional Cut-Out Animation/Paint on paper / PROFESSIONAL / prod: Bhopal / no dialogue or commentaries
A whale was washed up on a beach. It is the last of it species. It still breathes and it doesn’t intend to leave without saying “goodbye”.
2. A Bird With No Legs (org. A Bird With No Legs) / Dir. Nick Cinelli / 2019 United Kingdom / 09:03 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT/ Prod. National Film and Television School / dialogues and commentaries (in English)
With a saxophone as his weapon, Theo leads his father, James, into the battleground of the psyche. Their goal- defeating James’ demons, and helping him overcome his grief.
3. A BUS (org. 公交车) / Dir. Wenyu Li / 2018 China / 06:36 / Traditional Drawing Animation/Traditional Painting Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod. Wenyu Li / no dialogue or commentaries
A bus driving from A city to B city.
4. Adorable(org. Adorable) / Dir. Cheng-Hsu Chung / 2018 Taiwan, United Kingdom / 05:43 / Traditional Drawing Animation / STUDENT/ Prod. Royal College of Art / no dialogue or commentaries
ADORABLE is an animated film that presents a journey of a queer person where he explores his sexuality and the queer community; the film illustrates an observation of the modern queer society and fantasies toward the freedom of gender fluidity. This work is to reflect the real situation of the community where discriminations, freedom, and love coexist.
5. After (org. O tom co potom) / Dir. Matous Valchar / 2018 Czech Republic / 05:25 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod: University of West Bohemia / dialogues and commentaries (in English)
What will be after death? A lot of people thinking about this question. A lot of groups have very different opinion but majority of tham have one thing similar. almost all religions are convinced that they are right.
6. At The Horizon(org. A L’HORIZON) / Dir. Izabela Bartosik / 2016 France / 09:25 / Traditional Painting Animation (Paint on Glass) / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Les Films de l’Arlequin / no dialogue or commentaries
A man and a woman are doing up a boat in order to go on a cruise together. This common project brings them together. They are passionate, become very close. Their relationship is sensual and tender. Yet they grow weary after a long period of relentless work, and both their life and the boat go adrift.
7. Bloeistraat 11(org. Bloeistraat 11) / Dir. Nienke Deutz / 2018 Belgium, Netherlands / 09:41 / stop motion / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Lunanime / no dialogue or commentaries
Inseparable best friends spend their last summer holiday of childhood amusing themselves around the house. As summer progresses their bodies start to morph and shift and an awkwardness descends on their friendship. Puberty seems determined to interrupt their bond.
8. Castle (org. Castle) / Dir. Ryotaro Miyajima / 2019 Japan / 05:00 / Drawing on paper with pencil and aquarelle paint / PROFESSIONAL / Prod. Miyajima Animation / no dialogue or commentaries
In the Warring States period, many lives were lost. a castle planner discovers the possibility of a tea room as a place for warriors to regain humanity.
9. Circuit (org. Circuit) / Dir. Delia Hess / 2018 Switzerland / 08:41 / Traditional Drawing Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod. Cinéma Copain ltd. / no dialogue or commentaries
On a small planet, the inhabitants perform their surreal actions, which repeat themselves in an endless loop. That they are part of a complex ecosystem which can only function if each of them plays his or her role, is something they are unaware of.
10. Coffee Break (org. Coffee Break) / Dir. María Cristina Pérez / 2018 Colombia / 09:00 / Drawing and painting in gouache on paper / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Independente production / no dialogue or commentaries
For decades, every working day at four in the afternoon, Pepe, a deer clerk, drinks coffee. The routine consumes his life. Expectations are followed by disappointments; meanwhile Pepe grows gray hair and loses his enthusiasm.
11. Don’t Wake(org. Hе буди) / Dir. Evgeniia Golikova / 2017 Estonia / 06:15 / Traditional Painting Animation (Paint on glass) / STUDENT / Prod: Estonian Academy of Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
He managed to earn respect – behind every tattoo on his skin is a story which asserted his absolute authority in prison. But the time has come to return to normal life…
12. Dustrolls(org. Tolmurullid) / Dir. Katariina Aule / 2017 Estonia / 07:31 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Estonian Academy of Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
An old blind watchmaker makes a living by repairing clocks, with a little help from his unnoticeable friends.
13. Electrician’s Day (org. Elektrika diena) / Dir. Vladimir Leschiov / 2018 Latvia / 08:44 / Drawn and painted on paper / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Vladimir Leschiov / no dialogue or commentaries
It all started with a power outage…
14. Embraced (org. Etreintes) / Dir. Justine Vuylsteker / 2018 France / 05:27 / Pin Screen/Traditional Cut-Out Animation / PROFESSIONAL / National Film Board / no dialogue or commentaries
Standing still in front of the open window, a woman stares at the dark clouds that obscure the sky. Immobile, she fights against the remembrances of the past. In the clouds, a passionate embrace appears.
15. Euphoria(org. Alegría) / Dir. Katalin Egely / 2018 Hungary / 04:00 / Traditional Drawing Animation (watercolor on paper) / PROFESSIONAL / Prod. Katalin Egely / no dialogue or commentaries
People had long ago cut themselves off of their natural environment and have suffered since from this division, the lack of the essential feeling of unity and belonging.
16. Fighting Pablo (org. Fighting Pablo) / Dir. Robbe Vervaeke / 2018 Belgium / 7:30 / Traditional Painting Animation (Paint on Glass) / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Cinnamon Entertainment / no dialogue or commentaries
A young artist is working on a portrait when an unexpected moment of frustration and doubt shatters his inspiration. Distracted by his own curiosity, he suddenly finds himself engulfed by a grande parade. Buzzing characters spirited from contemporary pop-culture and art-history crystallize out of the air. Unable to resist the charismatic pull of this vast and grotesque world, he joins in on an exploration through his own colorful ambitions. But when Pablo Picasso’s terrific charisma ends up threatening everything he holds dear, he learns to push back in order to rediscover his own voice.
17. Finity Calling(org. Finity Calling) / Dir. Jasper Kuipers / 2018 Belgium, Netherland / 15:02 / Puppet Animation/Object Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: SeriousFilm & Walking the Dog / no dialogue or commentaries
An empty room with five people sitting at a table that seats six. Their withered bodies adorned with lush fabrics and jewelry, they spend eternity playing with their food. A charged silence fills the air. When the fragile equilibrium in the group is broken by the boy’s constant pestering, the results are explosive.
18. Fisherman and the Girl (org. Metevze da Gogona) / Dir. Mamuka Tkeshelashvili / 2018 Georgia / 15:00 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod. 20 Steps Productions / no dialogue or commentaries
A story about a five-year-old girl and her fisherman father who has to leave her home alone and go for fishing. To make her stay easier Father tells her magical stories about fishing which transforms into dreamlike fantasies in a little girl’s mind.
19. Five minutes to sea (org. Piat minut do moria) / Dir. Natalia Mirzoyan / 2018 Russia / 07:07 / Paint on Paper / PROFESSIONAL / Prod. Petersburg Animation Studio / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
The mother issues her decree: before you get back in the water, you have to take a break and sit quietly for five minutes. For the little girl, these five minutes are an ocean of boredom that stretches on forever and ever. She starts to watch the other bathers and how they spend their five minutes.
20. Food Chain(org. Toiduahel) / Dir. Mari Kivi / 2018 Estonia / 08:30 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod. Estonian Academy of Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
On one hand it’s a dirty work and on the other hand gorgeous product.
21. From Under Which Stone Did They Crawl Out (org. Ispod kojeg li su samo kamena ispuzali) / Dir. Daniel Šuljić / 2018 Croatia / 05:30 / Coffee Animation / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Kreativni Sindikat / no dialogue or commentaries
Darkness is coming and soon it will fill up the whole space…
22. Fuse (org. Fuse) / Dir. Shadi Adib / 2018 Germany / 07:18 / Paint (Ink) on Paper / STUDENT / Prod: AG Animationsfilm / dialogues and commentaries (in English)
A mousetrap snaps shut, a market place awakens. A group of men heatedly discuss how to kill the animal in the little box. One after the other, they try to trump each other’s sadistic fantasies, and even a stranger’s suggestion to let the creature loose, turns out to be a sick manipulation. But as the macabre game unfolds and spirals out of control, both victim and tormentor suffer the same fate.
23. III (org. III) / Dir. Marta Pajek / 2018 Poland / 12:00 / Traditional Drawing Animation / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Animoon / no dialogue or commentaries
A Man and a Woman meet in a waiting room and immediately get closer to each other. They commence a game that gradually gets more and more ferocious. Their faces resemble masks while shapes slowly lose their integrity. Bodies are formed like clay, embracing each other until the limits of impossibility. “III” is a portrait of a woman in an exhausting relationship with a man, which allures and repulses at the same time. The film is the third part of the triptych “Impossible Figures and other stories”.
24. Little Shoes(org. Zapatos y la mágica aventura de su creación) / Dir. Juan Camilo González Moreno, Cho Jim San / 2019 Colombia / Argentina / 05:20 / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Ecdysis Animation / Puppet Animation/Traditional Cut-Out Animation / no dialogue or commentaries
In a traditional shoe shop, this magical adventure begins, each material and tool comes alive to the rhythm of an orchestral music, witnessing the making of a pair of beautiful little shoes. Hilarious and funny fable about the wonderful craft of the shoemaker, a tribute to handmade work.
25. Love Me, Fear Me (org. Love Me, Fear Me) / Dir. Veronica Solomon / 2018 Germany / 06:07 / STUDENT / Prod: Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF / Claymation / no dialogue or commentaries
What would you be willing to do for them to love you? LOVE ME, FEAR ME is a dance metaphor about the roles we play and the shapes we take, about the stages we chose, the audience we try to impress and the price of acceptance.
26. Memorable(org. Mémorable) / Dir. Bruno Collet / 2019 France / 12:02 / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Vivement Lundi ! / Puppet Animation / dialogues and commentaries
Recently, Louis, painter, and his wife Michelle are experiencing strange events. Their world seems to be mutating. Slowly, furnitures, objects, people lose their realism. They are destructuring, sometimes disintegrating …
27. Metamorphosis (org. Metamorphosis) / Dir. Carla Pereira, Juan Fran Jacinto / 2019 Spain/France 10:26 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Autour de Minuit / no dialogue or commentaries
In his thirties and still living with his mother, a man decides to break free from his inner demons.
28. MIX (org. MIX) / Dir. Kotoko Nakamura / 2018 Japan / 06:40 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: KO+O Animation / no dialogue or commentaries
A •glie•h hidden within a happy-looking family. For what, for whom is this secret kept? What is important to you in this •gmix•h of a world? Fact or fiction? Right or wrong?”
29. Moth (org. Moth) / Dir. Ewa Łuczków / 2018 United Kingdom / 11:38 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod. National Film and Television School / dialogues and commentaries (in English)
Jumping between reality and fantasy, Moth follows 8-year old Mabil as she escapes the troubles of her family with her vivid daydreams and imaginary moth friend. However, her fantasy is interrupted when she is forced to face her family past and put an end to her fantasies.
30. Musical Traumas (org. Muzicke trauma) / Dir. Miloš Tomić / 2018 Serbia / 10:26 / Drawing on paper, cut out, animated objects, paint on glass / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Dribbling Pictures / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
A rhythmic compilation of traumatic, but amusing confessions of former music school students.
31. Muteum (org. Muteum) / Dir. Äggie Pak Yee Lee / 2017 Estonia / 04:10 / Traditional Drawing Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Estonian Academy of Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
In an Art Museum, we learn, from outer to inner, from its shallow to its deepest, seriously and sincerely.
32. My Little Goat(org. マイリトルゴート) / Dir. Tomoki Misato / 2018 Japan / 10:13 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Tokyo University of the Arts / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
The mother goat rescues her little goats from the wolf’s belly. But, she can’t find Toruku, her eldest son! Where is Toruku?!
33. On the way home (org. かえりみち) / Dir. Mizuki Kiyama / 2018 Japan / 02:25 / Traditional Drawing Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Tokyo University of the Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
The borderland between sleeping and waking is the moment when the daughter melds into her father.
34. Orbit (org. Orbit) / Dir. Tess Martin / 2019 Netherlands / 06:49 / Phonotropes / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Tess Martin / no dialogue or commentaries
Spinning drawings guide us along the flow of energy through our planet, and let us ponder our place in the natural cycle.
35. Over The Edge (org. Over The Edge) / Dir. Amalie Vilmar / 2018 United Kingdom / 01:31 / Stop-motion & Traditional Combination / STUDENT / Prod: National Film and Television School / no dialogue or commentaries
While the parents fight, a child is pushed ever more to the side as the conflict escalates. A fly on the wall, she observes with fear and frustration her parents’ ceaseless anger as it grows ad starts pushing everything else aside, including her…
36. Per tutta la vita (org. Per tutta la vita) / Dir. Roberto Catani / 2018 Italy, France / 5:20 / Traditional Drawing Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Withstand / no dialogue or commentaries
Through a journey back in memory, a woman and a man retrace the more important moments of their love story.
37. Piece Of Meat(org. Piece Of Meat) / Dir. Jerrold Chong / 2019 Singapore / 11:52 / Traditional Cut-Out Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Finding Pictures / no dialogue or commentaries
Enslaved in a surreal world of living objects, a Lamb Chop does whatever it takes to make ends meet.
38. Pinchpot(org. Pinchpot) / Dir. Greg Holfeld / 2018 Australia / 04:21 / Traditional Drawing Animation / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Panic Productions / no dialogue or commentaries
A story about giving and receiving, art and work, life and death, and things made from lumps of clay.
39. Sowing (org. Säen) / Dir. Maryna Miliushchanka / 2018 Germany / 07:24 / Puppet Animation/ STUDENT/ Prod: Kunsthochschule Kassel / no dialogue or commentaries
Ukrainian wasteland. A girl, whose only treasure is a painted Easter egg is shocked, as her grandmother puts a freshly slaughtered chicken on the table. Confronted with death for the first time, she leaves the house, questioning her tranquil life, only to face a new tragedy that will force her to give up her treasures. An allegorical journey to self-transformation and growing up.
40. Still Lives(org. Kiirehessä Liikkumatoin) / Dir. Elli Vuorinen / 2019 Finland / 06:02 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Pyjama Films / dialogues and commentaries (film not in English must be subtitled in English)
The concept of busy stillness is explored from various standpoints as museum artefacts from all around the world reflect on the mundane challenges of modern life.
41. Sweet Sweat(org. Sweet Sweat) / Dir. Jung Hyun Kim / 2018 Estonia / 06:13 / Traditional Drawing Animation / STUDENT/ Prod: Estonian Academy of Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
A child recognizes the erotic relationship between the parents. Curious but overwhelmed, the child takes control.
42. Tête à Tête(org. Tête à Tête) / Dir. Natasha Tonkin / 2017 United Kingdom / 07:41 / Drawing, cut out & Stop motion / STUDENT/ Prod: The National Film and Television School / dialogues and commentaries (film in English)
Tête à Tête is a short animated drama that explores themes of connection, isolation and female identity in the context of today’s digital world. The story follows the fun-loving Kerri as she spends the weekend with her sister’s family. Tensions flare and technology provides an easy respite. Yet when Kerri’s gaze shifts from the screen, she discovers a deeper kind of connection.
43. The Animals(org. The Animals) / Dir. Ottomar Sukko / 2017 Estonia / 05:31 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Estonian Academy of Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
A forest, that is a home for many animals, is about get destroyed so three of them decide to fight back.
44. The Burden(org. Min börda) / Dir. Niki Lindroth von Bahr / 2017 Sweden / 14:01 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Prod: Kalle Wettre, Malade / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
A dark musical enacted in a modern market place, situated next to a large freeway. The employees of the various commercial venues, portrayed as animals, deal with boredom and existential anxiety by performing cheerful musical turns. The apocalypse is a tempting liberator.
45. The Feather Pillow (org. Almofada de Penas) / Dir. Joseph Specker Nys / 2018 Brasil / 12:17 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: 2 Plátanos Filmes / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
Shortly after her honeymoon Alicia contracts an inexplicable illness, while her husband Jordan bear witness seemingly indifferent. Something hidden is driving her insane. The disease makes the young woman mix reality with gruesome hallucinations.
46. The Flounder(org. The Flounder) / Dir. Elizabeth Hobbs / 2019 UK/Austria / 06:30 / Traditional Paint on Paper / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Animate Projects /no dialogue or commentaries
One day a humble fisherman catches an enchanted fish. Can the fish help him, and his wife improve their lot? The Flounder is an adaptation of the Brothers Grimm tale ‘The Fisherman and his Wife’, with painted animation by Elizabeth Hobbs and an original score by composer Carola Bauckholt.
47. The Incredible Wardrobegadget of Dr. Stein (org. Skříňostroj doktora Steina) / Dir. Gabriela Plačková / 2019 Czech Republic / 16:56 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Tomas Bata University in Zlin / no dialogue or commentaries
When profesor Stein’s dog dies in an accident, he’s ready to do whatever it takes to get him back. He builds an incredible life-reviving machine but instead of a cute pup a hideous monster comes out of it. How can the monster prove that it has the dog’s good heart inside?
48. The last crow(org. El último canto) / Dir. Borja Guerrero / 2018 Spain / 14:58 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: OQO editora / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
Every morning, Filbert and Sacramento’s cockerel went up the bell tower and sang: “Oh sole mío…” It was like that for many years, so many it seemed it was always going to be so. However, the cockerel was getting old and one night he closed his eyes to go to sleep…
49. The Spirit of Life (org. Eluvaim) / Dir. Anne Mirjam Kraav / 2017 Estonia / 04:10 / Traditional Drawing Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Estonian Academy of Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
An ordinary morning becomes extraordinary when there’s a knock at the door. If you don’t succeed in life at first, try again.
50. The Spirits of Cairn (org. Kean no Kubitachi) / Dir. Shinobu Soejima / 2018 Japan / 07:12 / Puppet Animation / STUDENT / Prod: Tokyo University of the Arts / no dialogue or commentaries
“The Spirits of Cairn” imagines a state of limbo which is the destination of those who die in childhood. The protagonist feels remorse about having died too young, but the emotion is just an echo and he has no idea how long he’s been there, why he is there, or the source of his regret. His work of interring the many necks buried below the surface continues without end.
51. Viacruxis(org. Viacruxis) / Dir. Ignasi López / 2018 Spain / 10:57 / Puppet Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Ana Benigna Vega / no dialogue or commentaries
Marcel and Andrezj are a legendary pair of mountaineers. They have been the first ones to conquer the highest and hardest peaks. Despite their different temperaments, they make a great team. Marcel has taken the lead and popularity, whereas Andrezj always plays a secondary role. Now they face the biggest challenge: reaching the virgin summit of the highest mountain. In order to achieve this, they will have to overcome formidable obstacles, suffer hardships and stand each other for a long time. But Andrezj is no longer willing to continue in Marcel’s shadow.
52. Wandering(org. Περιπλάνηση) / Dir. Lamprini Loukaidi / 2018 Greece / 05:12 / Charcoal animation / STUDENT / Prod: Ionian University / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
Poetry charcoal animation. Strolling around Athens through the gaze of a woman poet. A visual story about oppresion and the experience of city life
53. White Lobster(org. Langosta Blanca) / Dir. Paul Gómez López / 2019 Mexico / 08:35 / Mixed Media (Digital Drawing, Claymation, Puppet) / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Spot Motion Estudio / no dialogue or commentaries
3 humble fishermen surviving in a unpropitious sea, today they will find a misterious white lobster that will show them their deepest wills and dreams, but also can drag them to a dark path of perdition and greed.
54. Yellow Rose(org. Yellow Rose) / Dir. Xin Li / 2018 Australia / 03:47 / Traditional Painting Animation (Paint on Glass) / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Xin Li / dialogues and commentaries (in English)
Influenced by Chinese poetry, the music video Yellow Rose is about coming home, identity, and cultural homecoming. About yearning, like a mother being with a child or connecting with the motherland.