SYNOPSIS OF THE FILMS
1. Am I a Wolf? (org. Gorgam-o-Gale Mibaram) / Dir. Amir Houshang Moein / 2018 Iran / 08:15 / Digital Painting / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Institute for the Intellectual Development of Children & Young Adults, KANOON / no dialogue or commentaries
Children perform the familiar story of the wolf and yeanlings in school as a puppet theater. The nanny goat in the grief of its yeanlings and the angry wolf in its solitude, face each other. As usual, the wolf defeats, but…
2. Another World (org. 世外) / Dir. Tommy Kai Chung / 2019 Hong Kong / 14:01 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Point Five Creations / dialogues and commentaries (film in English)
In the realm of “Another World”, ghosts are told to lead those spirits to the path of rebirth. However, one of these ghosts, Little Ghost, always loses track of what he is supposed to do. Perhaps it is not abnormal as nothing is ever destined to happen in this “Another World”.
3. Bei Mir Bist Du Schön / Dir. Bouwine Pool / 2017 Netherlands / 12:14 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: The Drawing Room / no dialogue or commentaries
A sweet granny is looking forward to her granddaughter’s visit. But when the little girl arrives, the feeling is not mutual. Before the visit is over, granny must try to create the warm bond with her grandchild she desires so deeply.
4. Broken Things / Dir. Panni Gyulai / 2018 Hungary / 10:00 / Digital Drawing / STUDENT / Prod: Mome / no dialogue or commentaries
A story of a lonely young child growing up in an isolated family from where she digs into her inner fantasy world. The adults who surround her doesn’t do anything to solve the unbearable life they are living, everybody is resigned. The mother hides behind her cigarette smoke, the grandmother is covered with her plants and the little girl tries to alleviate her depressing circumstances with her fantasy world. But as she dives deeper and deeper into herself, she realizes that everything that surrounds her is a part of her life, that she can’t escape or hide from.
5. Carlotta’s Face / Dir. Valentin Riedl / 2018 Germany / 05:00 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Fabian Driehorst / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
As a child, Carlotta didn’t expect the people around her to have faces. She even doesn’t recognize her own face. Years later, she learns about a rare, untreatable deficit of her brain. It was art, after all, that offered her a way to finally recognize herself.
6. Cyclists (org. Biciklisti) / Dir. Veljko Popovic / 2018 Croatia, France / 07:20 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Lemonade3d / no dialogue or commentaries
The cycling season is nearing its grand finale. During the final race, the two men in the lead are competing for more than the Grand Trophy; they are fighting for the affection of a lady and fulfilment of their erotic fantasies. Meanwhile, the small port town prepares for the arrival of a large ocean liner and its dashing captain.
7. Island / Dir. Mengqian Chen / 2019 China, France / 08:28 / Digital Drawing / PROFFESIONAL / Prod: GASP! / no dialogue or commentaries
On a deserted island lives a desperately lonely Cyclops. Time passes, the seasons too. One summer night, he discovers an egg from which a bird hatches. Very quickly a fusional relationship binds them, until summer came back…
8. Jebeer (org. جبییر) / Dir. Reyhaneh Mirhashemi / 2019 Iran / 10:00 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Hoorakhsh Studios / no dialogue or commentaries
The wildlife ranger is patrolling the protective area, while his soul is intertwined with the nature and all the creatures he is protecting. He runs freely and lives with the animals, surrounded by beauty. But, as fate would have it, he is confronted with some poachers.
9. King of the House (org. 陋室之王) / Dir. Zige Zhang / 2019 China, USA / 10:45 / Digital Drawing / STUDENT / Prod: Zige Zhang Animation Studio / dialogues and commentaries (film in English)
This film is a portrait of a man in a stagnated mental state, which develops in many people. The “king” is afraid to go outside, and unwilling to accept new things, because he doesn’t want to accept his true self. I believe that in order to protect themselves, people sometimes can be deceived, believing they are better off sealed away. Hiding from the disappointments of experience, they succumb to isolation.
PROGRAM 2 – Ap.90’
10. MIMI / Dir. Lisa Fukaya / 2018 Denmark / 04:17 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: The Open Workshop / no dialogue or commentaries
MIMI has a pimple for the first time. She is afraid of being different from other girls and is uncomfortable around those who are different from herself. Because of this, she begins to mimic other girls around her.
11. My Mother’s Eyes / Dir. Jenny Wright / 2018 United Kingdom / 04:39 / Digital Drawing / STUDENT / Prod: Central Saint Martins / no dialogue or commentaries
A story about motherhood and loss in an abstracted world of childhood memory.
12. OBON / Dir. Andre Hoermann, Samo / 2018 Germany / 15:00 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Hoermann-Filmproduction/Vizion / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
Akiko Takakura is one of the last survivors of the atomic bomb explosion of Hiroshima. During Obon she receives the spirits of her parents and is haunted by memories. Akiko’s childhood consists of constant rejections and beatings. Finally Akiko experiences fatherly love in the midst of Hiroshima’s ruins.
13. Selfies / Dir. Claudius Gentinetta / 2018 Switzerland / 04:00 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Gentinettafilm / no dialogue or commentaries
In a veritable firework display of digital self-portraits, hundreds of quaint, embarrassing and dread-fully disturbing selfies were arranged in a unique short film composition. Single photos, artistically reworked, consolidate to form a ghastly grin that outshines the abyss of human existence.
14. The Damn Junks (org. Khenzer Penzarhaye Lanati) / Dir. Amirpooya Afzalipoor, Rouhollah Saadatmand / 2019 Iran / 05:00 / Digital Cut-Out Animation / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Payda Studio / no dialogue or commentaries
A little girl, teases THINGS at nights mischievously.15. The Lost Garden (org. Le Jardin Perdu) / Dir. Natalia Chernysheva / 2018 France / 03:15 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Tant Mieux Productions / dialogues and commentaries (film subtitled in English)Where goes a garden that has nowhere to go? An evocation of wandering and exile.
16. The Music Box / Dir. Joe Chang / 2018 Canada / 11:29 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: Joe’s Film Co.,Ltd / no dialogue or commentaries
This animated short film is based on a real story and sets in China during the Cultural Revolution in 1967, It is about a young boy Liang Liang, whose family is suddenly taken to the countryside by Red Guards. He is able to grab the only thing he treasures which is a western style music box, and is careful not to expose it to the red guards since it was linked to western culture. The film mirrors tragedies that befall children and families who are forced to leave their homes, due to war, colonization and political campaigns – unfortunately a situation which is all too common today.
17. The Night of the Plastic Bags (org. La Nuit des sacs plastiques) / Dir. Gabriel Harel / 2018 France / 18:07 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod. Kazak Productions / dialogues and commentaries (subtitled in English)
Agathe, 39, has but one obsession: to have a child. She finds her ex, Marc-Antoine, a DJ, mixing techno in Marseille. As she tries to talk him into getting back together, plastic bags come to life and attack the city.
18. The Theory Of Sunset (org. Teoria Zakata) / Dir. Roman Sokolov / 2017 Russia / 08:48 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL/ Prod: “PETERSBURG” Animation Studio LTD / no dialogue or commentaries
Deep at night, a dedicated cyclist traverses the wintry forest. The challenge: make sure this new day gets off to a fresh and timely start.
19. Under The Rib Cage (org. Sous le cartilage des côtes) / Dir. Bruno Tondeur / 2018 Belgium/France / 13:03 / Digital Drawing / PROFESSIONAL / Prod: Autour de Minuit / dialogues and commentaries (film subtitled in English)
This is the story of a guy who’s gonna die… Maybe.20. Xylomat / Dir. Chan Lai Ying, Ho Tsz Wing, Luk Sze Ling / 2018 Hong Kong / 03:29 / Digital Drawing / STUDENT / no dialogue or commentaries
A journey of a lonely astronaut looking for signal in the space. Set to music with lines and ellipses, black and white. Following a trail of monotone shapes that leading deep into the universe, unfolding the space as time goes, hoping to find the answers.